The stadium sits on the location of Rice Field, Rice's old football stadium which opened in 1913 and was used until the opening of Rice Stadium in 1950. (Games in 1912 had been played at West End Park). The venue held less than 37,000 people for football. Today, it holds approximately 5,000 people. Part of the grandstand from the visitor's side of the old football stadium is used as the current grandstand, although the bleachers were removed. Today, there are about 100 permanent seats on the stone terracing.